If you love the plastic arts, don’t miss Catherine Greene’s sculpture exhibition within the faded splendour of the IGS headquarters, today called City House but originally Assembly House on Dublin’s South William Street. It is remarkable for being the first purpose-built public art gallery in either Britain and Ireland and possibly in Europe. Built by the Society of Artists in Ireland between 1766 and 1771 with the expressed aim of promoting the work of Irish artists and providing an academy for the arts. In the winter edition of Irish Arts Review 2015, Greene spoke to Carissa Farrell about her ambition to exhibit in this beautiful space, for which she is returning to her ‘roots in otherworldliness.’ Greene describes the work as ‘an exploration of the line between the human and the animal soul’. One work Wolf and Men, is part of this series of centaur/satyr-like human/wolf figures that stand perfectly still, hands clasped at their sides with heads sorrowfully stretched upwards to the sky.
The exhibition continues until 29 October, City House 58 South William Street, Dublin